One of my favorite aspects of cooking, is using what you have on hand to create something yummy and new. While I wish that I could create something innovative and earth shattering daily, it’s just not realistic. And honestly, that’s OK. Sometimes all you need is a simple meal with ingredients that are tried and true. This salad was created by doing just that.
While planning this meal, I realized I had leftover chicken made using this marinade and spiced pumpkin seeds from yesterday’s post. By adding dried cranberries, some fingerling potatoes, and fresh greens I made an entirely new meal using ingredients I already had in my pantry. I love it when that happens.
Especially, because it turns an hour long dinner prep into a 30 minute breeze. For those with busy lives (AKA everyone) this is the perfect meal to throw together after a long day. And you will feel much better after eating it! Always a plus in my book.
What made this salad even better? Taking the first bite. Seriously, the creamy goat cheese paired with a light champagne and pear vinaigrette against the bitter bite from the arugula makes this salad my new go-to.
The toppings are what make this salad great, and the dried cranberries are the perfect touch of sweetness. They are absolutely needed in this recipe! Besides, look how gorgeous they look against those leafy greens?! Like little rubies 🙂
- 4 chicken breasts (I used the marinade from my Citrus Roasted Chicken)
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 cups spring mix
- Champagne and pear vinaigrette (I got mine from Trader Joe's)
- 15 small fingerling potatoes
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup spiced pumpkin seeds (I found mine at Trader Joe's)
- 1 loaf of french bread
- In a casserole dish, roast the chicken breasts at 325 for about 30 minutes (or until tender) using the marinade from my Citrus Roasted Chicken post.
- In a pan, add the potatoes along with the oil and rosemary. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until lightly seared, then add the broth and steam (with lid) for another 10-15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, spring mix, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and dressing. Toss together.
- Separate into 4 small bowls. Top with thinly sliced chicken and serve with fingerling potatoes and thick slices of french bread.