How was your weekend?
Ours was a whirlwind! We drove down to NC and spent some time with my family eating good food and enjoying the crisp fall weather! While we loved being with our family for a few days, driving back on Sunday meant not having a lot of time to prepare meals for the week ahead. Luckily, I remembered the recipe for this delicious Southwestern inspired salad! It’s so easy to put together and you can make a bunch so you have a few days worth of lunches ready to go (which, is a necessity in our little family).
It has red quinoa, edamame, jicama and black beans tossed together with a delicious lime vinaigrette. And the awesome part? If you aren’t a fan of all of those ingredients, you can sub in whatever you want and make it your own! This salad is adaptable!
To make, simply cook the quinoa according to package instructions then place the cooked quinoa in the fridge for about 20 minutes. In a colander, rinse the black beans and edamame (I used frozen) thoroughly. Peel, then dice the jicama then combine all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. In a small bowl add the oil, lime juice, cumin and chili powder and whisk together until emulsified.
Drizzle the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss together. This keeps incredibly well in the fridge for a few days and, is best served the day after! Now, I would love to know, do you guys have any fail-safe recipes to keep you fed during the workweek?
*If you guys make any of the recipes here on TBC and share your photos on social media, be sure to tag them #theblondechefblog so I can check out your gorgeous photos 🙂
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I used read, but normal works great!)
- 1 cup shelled edamame (I used frozen)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- ½ jicama diced (I like to drizzle some lime juice and sprinkle some salt on the jicama about 5 minutes prior to combining with the other ingredients, this helps give it brightness and lots of flavor)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- The juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to package instructions ( I prefer to use chicken broth instead of water) then place in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, rinse the edamame and black beans and set aside.
- Peel and dice the jicama.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the vinaigrette and whisk until emulsified.
- Once the quinoa is cool, combine with the above ingredients and toss well.