I like to call this Grapefruit Cucumber Mint Juice create Get Up And Glow Juice because this juice that will seriously make your skin glow.
This amazing green juice recipe is vegan, good for you, and has just the right amount of sweetness. The ingredients for this one will tell the whole story.
The first stumbling block to get over with this recipe is the word “juice” since many people assume you need a juicer or juice extraction machine to make this work. You DO NOT need a juicer, just an ordinary blender or food processor.
And on the food processor front, I promise there is no weird pulp left over–something about the texture of pulp in juice doesn’t agree with me. If you are “one of us” this recipe will be quite pleasing.
- Fresh basil
- Mint leaves
- Cold water
- Coconut sugar
(Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe card with exact measurements and instructions.)
For me, this recipe is about being packed full of the right nutrients. They include:
- Cucumbers: Full of vitamins A, B, and C, and help promote healthy nails and hair.
- Mint: Features some of the highest antioxidant capacities of any food. Mint is said to help relieve seasonal allergies, promote healthy digestion, and is a “cooling” food.
- Basil: Helps reduce inflammation and swelling. Basil has antioxidants, and a good source of magnesium and vitamin A.
- Grapefruit: Naturally features plenty of Vitamin C. It’s so important with flu season in full force to keep those C levels up! It may also be good for maintaining low blood pressure, and some believe it also helps prevent wrinkles.
How To Make Grapefruit Cucumber Mint Juice
This simple recipe is VERY doable first thing in the morning. Some like to make it the night before, but it’s best to use this as soon as it’s made or as soon as you can for maximum nutrients. The longer you wait, the more nutrients you could lose over time after the preparation is done due to oxygen and light exposure.
Think of Glow Juice the way you would red wine–you wouldn’t want to drink a glass of it after it had been sitting out all night…it’s a similar concept.
To make this recipe, no juice machine is needed. Simply blend all of the ingredients together until completely liquidized then place a mesh strainer over a medium-sized bowl and cover with a cheesecloth. Carefully pour the juice over the cloth then gather the edges together and strain the remaining liquid.
Repeat this step if necessary, then pour into a tall glass and drink up!
Grapefruit Cucumber Mint Juice Hacks
There are many ways to enhance Glow Juice. Some people add a bit of ginger, and the fresh variety is best. Many tout the healthy properties of turmeric and you may be tempted to add a bit to this recipe.
But before you give that a try, it’s best to taste test it with a very small amount before you commit to adding it to the whole recipe. You may or may not like the taste of turmeric, or you may like it just fine but not combined with the ingredients here. Not all add-ons or extra ingredients work in a recipe like this, it’s smart to experiment in small batches first.
Where the basil is concerned, you can always experiment with different types of basil to add interesting touches to the flavor. Try Thai purple basil instead of the type you normally cook with, or consider swapping it out with Lemon basil instead.
Some might be tempted to add a bit of thyme or rosemary, but you should experiment with this in small batches, too. The “spin” those herbs put on this drink may or may not agree with you–experimentation is key!
- 2 cucumbers (peeled)
- 5-6 sprigs of fresh basil
- 2 mint leaves
- The juice of 2 grapefruits
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 TBS. coconut sugar
- ¼ cantaloupe
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Place a mesh strainer over a medium-sized bowl (mine latched on so it made the process a bit easier). Then lay a cheese cloth over the top.
- Pour the juice mixture over the cheesecloth then pick up the outside edges of the cloth and bring together, then squeeze the pulp to release any remaining juice.
- Once finished, either serve immediately or refrigerate.