Guys, I finally took the plunge into the “avocado toast” craze. Sure, I may be about a year late to the party but better late than never, right? All I can say is that I am extremely sorry I didn’t do this sooner! I’m almost embarrassed to share this recipe because it’s SO simple. But then I thought, simple breakfasts are kind of awesome. Especially when they are as healthy and insanely good as this one.
But before we get to the recipe, I just had to tell you guys about yesterday’s snow day! It was wonderful! I love my day job, but it’s definitely nice to have the morning free to go run errands and be able to do a shoot using natural light for a change. Also, can I just say that walking into World Market at 10:00 am when no one is in the store is probably my favorite thing. I had to exercise some serious self control because about 100 things caught my eye (is anyone else so tempted by their bath section? I seriously walk away with something new every.single.time I go in). Speaking of which, does anyone have a good recommendation for a small storage cart, preferably with wheels? I need something to house my growing prop collection (it’s an addiction) but it needs to be small enough to fit in our apartment.
Ok, back to today’s post. Like I said, it’s crazy easy to put together. Just pan roast the tomatoes, then prepare the avocado mash, fry up a couple of eggs and put it all together!
And even though this is incredible warm, it’s actually just as delicious cold! I know this because after my shoot, placed them in the fridge and ate them for dinner! I have no regrets.
- ½ cucumber
- 1 large tomato
- 2 Tbs. goat cheese (I used an organic/vegetarian variety from Whole Foods)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs. micro greens
- 2 avocados
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbs. earth balance butter
- 1 loaf of whole grain bread
- In a medium-sized pan add half of the butter and the tomatoes and heat over a medium-high heat. (To get a good sear, don't move the tomatoes. Just let them sit for about 5 minutes). Cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Once heated through, set aside.
- Add the remainder of the butter and fry the eggs. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Place the avocado flesh in a bowl along with the lime juice. Mash together until no large pieces remain.
- Thinly slice the cucumber.
- To serve, I layered the avocado spread first, then added the cucumber, goat cheese, tomato, micro greens and egg.