So, I feel kind of guilty posting this carb-filled recipe so soon after Thanksgiving but….. it’s really too amazing of a recipe NOT to share with you (regardless of the proximity to the biggest food-related holiday of the year).
This dish was actually inspired by The Ben Franklin Parkway sandwich over at Taylor Gourmet, a little sandwich shop in the DMV. Their version is made with an amazing whole wheat hoagie roll topped with breaded chicken and then drenched in marinara sauce. Basically, it’s a little taste of heaven in your mouth. After I took my first bite, I knew I had to do a copycat version at home so, I created this!
It’s everything I love about the original, the fresh bread, the juicy chicken, and the creamy marinara but paired with havarti cheese for another layer of salty goodness and a vinegar and oil arugula for an added bite. This meal is just so perfect for a weeknight dinner, especially since it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, and it’s one your entire family will love!
To make the breaded chicken, place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper and pound with a blunt object (I used a rolling pin, but a meat tenderizer would work even better). Once the chicken has been tenderized, take out two separate medium-sized bowls. Fill one with the Panko bread crumbs, and the other with the egg wash. Dip each chicken breast in the egg wash mixture first, then into the bread crumbs (tossing to coat evenly). Once breaded, add to a hot pan (with about 2 tbs. of olive oil) and cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side.
Once the chicken has been cooked through, add the marinara sauce and garlic and simmer for about 10 minutes to help meld the flavors. To serve, simply slice the hoagie roll in half, coat the bottom half with marinara sauce, then add the breaded chicken, a slice of sharp provolone cheese, and a touch of arugula salad to finish it off!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 slices sharp provolone cheese
- 3 hoagie rolls
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. coconut milk
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- Arugula Salad
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. white wine vinegar
- Lay the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper and pound with a mallet until flat and tenderized (I used a rolling pin).
- Add the olive oil to a medium-sized pan and place over a medium-high heat.
- Take out two medium-sized bowls and fill one with the panko bread crumbs, and the other with the lightly beaten eggs.
- Take the tenderized chicken and dredge in the egg wash, then coat in the bread crumbs.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan, and fry for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked.
- Add the marinara sauce and minced garlic to the pan and reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the vinegar, salt and olive oil and whisk together until combined. Add the arugula and toss together.
- To serve, slice your roll of choice and add a layer of marinara sauce from the cooked chicken to the bottom half. Then add half of a chicken breast, a slice of provolone, and about 1 tbs. of the arugula mixture. Serve immediately!