How was your Mother’s Day Weekend?
Hopefully, full of flowers and breakfast-in-bed if you’re a mom, and for all of the rest of us, I hope you were able to spend some quality time with the amazing women in your life! Now, if you noticed, I was a little MIA last week and there are a couple of reasons. First, remember when my hard drive crashed? Well, I have still not been able to get the files recovered (keep your fingers crossed) so recipe developing/shooting has been a little intense around here. Second, I have a bit of good news! Stephen and I are moving!
We don’t move until the end of June but because we also happen to be going to Europe that same month, we are basically out of here starting Memorial Day Weekend!As someone who has always moved around her entire life, I know that it is bittersweet but we are going to be closer to family and I will get to spend more time doing what I love! We are so excited, and I just want to give you a heads up in case I seem a bit more sporadic these next few months, I promise I haven’t forgotten about you guys! So thanks in advance for sticking with me even if I only share 2-3 recipes a week 🙂Ok, ok tangent over. Now let’s talk about these breakfast bars! I have been trying to make a healthier snack bar for ages and finally came up with this one! I made a few batches and they all disappeared just as quickly as I could make them. And not only are they healthy (made with raw almond butter, honey, organic Cheerios, and dark chocolate) they are also crazy simple to make AND delicious!
How often do you get a trifecta like that? Not very, in my experience. They are perfect to pack up for kids, or if you’re like me and need a midday work snack to keep you going these do a wonderful job of keeping you full (I’m snacking on one right now!).
- ¾ cup almond butter (I used a chunkier variety)
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Kashi Organic Heart-to-Heart, Honey Toasted cereal
- 2 cups Organic Chocolate Cereal
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chips (I used ghirardelli 70% cocoa)
- ½ tbs. coconut oil
- ½ cup water
- In a small pot, add the almond butter, honey and salt and heat over a medium-low heat until all of the ingredients have melted together and the mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl add all of the cereal.
- Pour the almond butter mixture over the cereal and, using a spatula, mix together until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (I used 7x11) and press using the spatula until the mixture is completely flat and spread evenly.
- Place in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place a heat-proof boil over top (to form a double boiler) and pour in the chocolate and coconut oil into the boil.
- Stir continuously with a spatula until almost all of the chocolate is melted and smooth (just a few bumps left).
- Remove from the heat and continue to stir until completely smooth and creamy
- Take the bars out of the freezer and drizzle with the chocolate mixture.
- Place back into the freezer for another 5 minutes then serve!
- (Keep in the fridge to store)