How was your Memorial Day weekend?
We spent Saturday on my parent’s boat, wakeboarding and soaking up the sun and then spent Sunday and Monday hanging out with my family and eating great food! Hopefully yours was just as wonderful!With strawberry season underway, I can’t help but throw them into everything. So today, I have these dessert bars made with coconut butter, fresh strawberries, agave syrup and then topped with a healthy dose of dark chocolate.
These are basically my answer to my constant internal debate between wanting (needing?) something sweet but also wanting to fit into my jeans the next day. With a move and a few big trips coming up (did I mention we are headed to Italy next week?!) all I can think about are fast, easy recipes that don’t use a lot of dishes (packing is the worst!) so be prepared for some easy meals headed your way!
Oh, and they take literally 10 minutes to whip up (See? So easy!). Simply throw everything into a food processor, spread into a baking dish, coat with a thick layer of chocolate and refrigerate until solid! (About 30 minutes hour)
- 16 oz. coconut butter (I found mine at Whole Foods, but remember it's not the same thing as coconut cream, it is thicker and has more coconut pieces in it)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 tbs. vanilla
- ¼ cup agave (or sweeten to taste)
- 8 oz. dark chocolate pieces
- 1 tbs. coconut oil
- Place all of the ingredients (Except for the chocolate and coconut oil) into the food processor.
- *Tip: if you're having a difficult time getting the coconut butter out of the jar (mine was SO solid), place it in the microwave for about 20 seconds to slightly melt it.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Butter a medium sized baking dish (I used a bit of coconut oil for this) and then pour the strawberry mixture into the pan and, using a spatula, spread it evenly.
- Melt the chocolate by placing the pieces and the coconut oil into a small heatproof bowl and placing it over a small pan filled with about ⅓ cup of water (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water). Heat over a medium heat until the chocolate pieces are mostly melted (make sure you stir continuously during this step to prevent scalding the chocolate) and remove from the heat.
- Stir until completely smooth.
- Pour over the strawberry mixture and place into the freezer for about 30 minutes or until solidified.
- Cut into bars and carefully remove from the pan.
- Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve!