Sink your teeth into these delicious no bake rocky road bars made with chocolate, fluffy marshmallows, and crunchy cashews. Every bite will leave you wanting more.
Made with a delicious combination of chocolate, marshmallows, and cashews, rocky road bars are the ultimate indulgence for anyone with a sweet tooth. The rich and decadent chocolate is the star of the show, providing a rich, deep flavor that perfectly complements the sweet, pillowy marshmallows. In contrast, cashews provide a satisfying crunch and a nutty depth that elevates the flavor profile of the bars. I’m sure you have your version of rocky road. The fudgy treat packed with nuts and marshmallows leaves room for creativity. What sets this version apart is using coconut butter instead of dairy butter. It makes the chocolate super smooth. The recipe also combines 60% cocoa bars with semi-sweet chocolate!
Why You’ll Love These Rocky Road Bars
- Less than 7 ingredients – Don’t you love sweet treats that don’t require a long list of ingredients? Me too! That’s why I kept this recipe simple. Six elements come together to make a yummy batch of chocolate bars.
- Tons of texture – Rocky road bars offer a little bit of everything in terms of texture. The bars are a little fudgy, but you also get crisp bites of chocolate. With that comes a soft chewiness from the marshmallows, and the buttery crunch of cashews accompanies that chew.
- Bitter-sweet – 60 percent cocoa bars and semi-sweet chocolate provide that delicious bitter-sweet balance.
- Microwave only – The recipe uses the microwave to melt the chocolate – no double boiler needed!
- Quick dessert – This easy dessert recipes can be prepared in 20 minutes and freezes in just 20 minutes! Once the bars leave the freezer, slice and eat.
Rocky Road Bars Ingredients Notes
To make these easy rocky road bars, you’ll need the following:
- Chocolate: For the best result, use premium chocolate bars. Finely chop the chocolate so it melts faster, more evenly, and is less prone to overheating.
- Corn syrup: When added to chocolate, corn syrup acts as an interfering agent, which helps achieve a fudgy texture. Without it, the chocolate would harden and be difficult to bite.
- Mini marshmallows: They are easy to distribute throughout the chocolate, so you get the sweet chew of marshmallows in every bite.
- Nuts: Any nut will work here, but buttery cashews add something special to the bars. Crush, roughly chop, or briefly pulse the cashews in a food processor for even distribution.
A complete ingredients list with amounts is in the recipe card below!
How to Make Rocky Road Bars
- Heat the coconut butter and corn syrup: Heat the coconut butter and corn syrup in a heat-safe bowl for 30 seconds or until the oil melts completely.
- In goes the chocolate: Add the chocolate to the bowl with the butter and syrup.
- Melt until smooth: Return the bowl to the microwave and heat in 20-second intervals, stirring after each one, until the chocolate is smooth.
- Build the layers: Layer chocolate, marshmallows, and cashews in a prepared pan, then give everything a quick swirl to distribute the marshmallows and nuts evenly.
- Freeze to set: Pop the pan into the freezer for 20 minutes to set and cut into bars.
Variations, Substitutions, and Cooking Tips
Use another nut – Almonds, as are salted peanuts, are common additions to rocky road. Either will work well in the bars if you don’t have cashews on hand (or you don’t particularly like cashews).
Skip the nuts – If you have an allergy, skip them. You can replace the nuts with seeds, more marshmallows, or dried fruit.
Finish with salt – A sprinkle of finishing salt like Maldon contrasts the sweetness and enhances the flavor of chocolate by making the bitter notes more subtle.
Add peanut butter – Peanut butter plays up the nuttiness of rocky road bars while adding a creamy element.
No microwave – Use a double boiler instead, or make your own by placing a heat-safe bowl over a saucepan with an inch or two of water. Once the water starts to steam, melt the coconut butter in the bowl and proceed with the recipe. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
Cut with a serrated knife – You’ll get cleaner cuts with a serrated knife minus the effort.
To make rocky road bars ahead of time, freeze to set, then cut. Once cut, you can store the bars and refrigerate them until it is time for dessert. Just remember to leave them at room temperature to thaw.
Storage and Freezer Tips
Store rocky road bars in an airtight container and refrigerate. They will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week. You can also individually wrap them in plastic and place them in a zipper bag. Do not store rocky road bars in the freezer longer than the 20 minutes needed to set.
Recipe Edit Suggestions
- Based on photos, the recipe yields 6 large bars.
- 16 oz. 60% cocoa bars roughly chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
- 16 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs. coconut butter
- 3 tbs. corn syrup
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup cashews, crushed
- In a large heat-proof bowl, add the coconut butter and corn syrup and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds(or until the coconut butter has completely melted).
- Add all of the chopped chocolate and stir together.
- Place back into the microwave for about four to six 20 second intervals, stirring each time until the chocolate is almost completely smooth.
- Remove from the microwave and continue stirring until all of the chocolate is smooth and creamy.
- Butter an 8x9 pan with coconut butter.
- Add a layer of the chocolate mixture to the pan until the bottom is completely covered.
- Top with about ⅓ mini marshmallows and crushed cashews.
- Add another layer of chocolate and repeat.
- Once you have added the final layer of chocolate, use a small spatula to swirl together all of the layers and evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Top with another layer of marshmallow and cashew then place in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Once firm, remove from the freezer and cut into bars.
- Serve immediately (best if let out to thaw for a few minutes until soft) or keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Try these dessert recipes next!