How are you guys?
Any fun Halloween parties this week? We had a little house warming/pumpkin carving this past weekend at our house (love that I can say that after living in an apartment for 6 years) and it was so much fun! I made frankenstein cupcakes (complete with purple brains oozing out), served hot cider and all sorts of sweet treats!
So the next day when I realized I had put us all in a sugar coma, I decided to make something a little healthier. And, to me at least, that meant this incredibly delicious veggie pot pie! Now, before you take a look at that pie crust and say “no one has time for that”, here me out!
This pie crust takes 15 minutes to throw together, then sits in the fridge for at least two hours (to make things easier make it the night before!) then all you have to do is roll it out and you’re done! And I’ve now made this pie crust recipe over 20 times and it’s turned out perfectly flakey every.single.time. You really need to try it!
And when you pair it with this delicioius filling, you’ve got a huge win on your hands! Perfect for these chilly days we’ve been having! And it’s perfect made ahead of time and heated up before serving 🙂
- 1 pie crust (store bought works fine, but I used this tried-and-true recipe)
- 2 cups potatoes, thinly sliced and halved
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup fresh/frozen peas
- 1 cup diced pearl onion
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbs. chopped sage
- 1 tbs. dijon (or whole grain) mustard
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the potato slices for about 20 seconds then drain and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over a medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add the celery, carrot and fennel and cook until the carrot is softening.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Add in the chicken broth and herbs and continue stirring.
- Bring the mixture to a boil so it thickens, then remove from heat.
- Fold in the peas and potato slices then add the mixture into 2 small ramekins or one 8 inch pie dish (pre-lined with the above pie crust).
- Top with a layer of pie crust, slice a small hole in the top to allow air to escape then brush with egg wash and place into the oven.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes (for small pies or longer for one large one)
- Serve immediately, or place in the fridge and warm when ready to serve.