Today the sun is shining and spring is in full bloom, but yesterday? Yesterday (and the day before) was filled with dark clouds, soft rain, and below 50 degree weather. And since it is spring (April showers and all that) I figured we could all use a hot meal idea to get us through the last few remaining chilly/rainy days.
Now this is a meal that I have made so many times that I can’t believe I haven’t posted about it before. But here it is now and man, you guys are going to LOVE it!
It’s super easy to make, just throw your favorite veggies into the oven at 450, cook up some rice and mix up some lemon tahini dressing and you are good to go! That may seem like a lot of steps, but keep in mind that for the 30-40 minutes all of that is cooking you can go and do something else 🙂
And the leftovers reheat super well! So yummy next day. Now for the roasted veggies there is no set list of what you “must have” but my go-to’s every time I make this are roasted heirloom tomatoes, chickpeas (they are so fun to snack on!) and carrots. But feel free to pick our your favs and stick with those!
Oh, and really don’t forget the dressing! I made it for my parents and younger brothers about a month ago and they liked it SO much I had to make a whole new batch! They ate almost 3 cups worth in one sitting!
- 1 bunch of carrots
- 1 yellow onion (quartered)
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1 can chickpeas (strained)
- 2 heads broccoli (broken into pieces)
- 3-5 heirloom tomatoes (quartered)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 cups cooked brown (or white) basmati rice
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup coconut cream (I used canned organic)
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 tbs. fresh cilantro
- 2 lemons (juiced)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- To 2 parchment lined baking sheets, lay out all of the veggies so that they aren't too crowded.
- Coat with melted coconut oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes (or until the veggies begin to darken).
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package instructions (I like to add in a tbs of butter to the cooking water).
- To make the dressing, add all of the dressing ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Add each of the ingredients to a bowl and top with the dressing.
- Serve immediately (or place in a tupperware container to heat later)
Try these healthy bowls next: