Today’s recipe is a family favorite. I make a big batch of this about once a week and it makes for easy dinners/lunches for the whole week!
My recipe changes a little bit depending on what I have on hand (sometimes I’ll throw in half an avocado) but it’s such a win for an easy make-ahead meal. What I like to do is buy a big package of basil from Trader Joe’s (it costs around 3.00 which is so reasonable for almost 3 cups of basil) and then go home and immediately make a batch of pesto to keep in the fridge for the week.
Just blend all the pesto ingredients together and you’re set! Feel free to add to pasta (like I did here) or put on top of sandwiches, salmon, whatever you like! My one tip is that you will have to eye how much olive oil you will need to get it to the right consistency. It should be thin enough to run slowly off a spoon.
- 3 cups packed basil
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup olive oil (add more if needed, a tbs at a time)
- The juice of one lemon
- 4 cups pasta of your choosing (I like something with ridges to hold the sauce)
- Parmesan to grate on top
- Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Boil the pasta
- In a food processor, blend all the pesto ingredients together until smooth.
- To each individual bowl add pesto according to personal preference.
- Add in the halved tomatoes, and top with mozzarella and parmesan.