We made it to friday! Was anyone else’s week dragging on?
I have been so excited to check out the Cherry Blossoms downton, that it has taken almost all of my self control to not spend my work day counting down the minutes to the weekend. But here we are! Only a few hours separates us from a few days of well-deserved leisure. And honestly, I want nothing more than to sit down with a big bowl of comfort food. Which, is where this spaghetti squash bowl comes in!
These past few weeks I feel like I haven’t been eating quite as “healthily” as I would like. Now what I mean is that I have been resorting to “quick snacks” like cereal and candy to keep me going instead of sitting down and eating an actual meal. Do you guys know what I’m talking about? It seriously makes me feel SO tired all the time. So I have been trying to kick that habit this week by preparing easy dinners that are crazy healthy as well as delicious. And seriously we have had this spaghetti squash twice this week, alone!
And if that doesn’t seem like a lot to you, just know that we rarely repeat meals in our house. It really has to be something extremely delicious for Stephen to want it twice so take that as a huge recommendation to the amazingness of this meal.
I mean, check out all of those ingredients! We’ve got freshly grilled corn, avocado, black beans, cacique cheese, and cilantro and mixed together with the squash to make what I can only describe as a party in your mouth.
And what makes me love this meal, is how crazy healthy it is for you! Seriously, guys these bowls are chalk-full of good-for-you ingredients AND it takes about 30 minutes to throw together.
Now go and enjoy the gorgeous weekend! You’ve earned it!
- 2 spaghetti squash (halved, lengthwise and deseeded)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3 ears of corn
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- cacique cheese
- On a baking sheet (line with parchment paper for easy clean up), place the spaghetti squash cut-side-up.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, cumin, and chili powder.
- Using a basting brush, brush the cut-side of the squash, making sure to coat evenly.
- Place the squash in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes, or until fork- tender.
- In the meantime, heat a grill pan over a medium-high heat.
- Brush the ears of corn with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill for about 4-5 minutes on each side (don't move while cooking to get a nice grill on the corn).
- Once done, remove from the heat and cut the kernels off and set aside.
- Once the squash is done, remove from the oven to let cool.
- Using a fork, scrape the meat from the squash and place in a large pan.
- Add the beans and corn and allow to heat (at this time you may want to add additional salt, according to taste)
- Once the corn and beans are heated through, place the mixture back into the squash shells.
- Preheat the oven to Broil
- Top the bowls with the cacique cheese and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes (or until the cheese has melted)
- Top with cilantro and serve