How is everyone today?
I know it’s a Wednesday, and we still have a few days until we get to the weekend but for some reason I’m in a crazy good mood! It’s probably because Stephen comes home today after a few days away traveling for work! I’m not going to lie, being alone in our apartment at night scares me! I’m basically a 5 year-old.
Even though it’s the middle of the week, it doesn’t mean that we can’t celebrate and have fun, so I made us some Mexican tostadas to keep our minds on sunshine and saturdays!
What makes this recipe especially perfect for a Wednesday is that it comes together in about 20-30 minutes (depending on how fast your cutting skills are… mine are slow) which means that this is the PERFECT weeknight dinner/bring-to-work lunch.
I mean look at that! Who wouldn’t want to open up their lunch to find something so bright and colorful?! And of course it’s super healthy for you! I got the inspiration for these tostadas from Chipotle’s classic sofritas bowl, and decided to do my own spin and make it into a tostada!
To make this salad have a bit more “staying power” I topped it with avocado, and an egg over-easy for some added protein and it was seriously AMAZING! Such a win for those of us who don’t want to spend our precious free-time slaving in the kitchen.And if you want to really save time, simply make a double batch of the sofritas and then chop up the fresh ingredients right before serving. Now if you can just get through today, we are only two days away from the weekend and that’s pretty darn exciting!
- 1 container of extra firm tofu (cubed)
- ½ onion diced
- 2 jalapeños deseeded and diced
- 2 tbs. adobo sauce
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- Tostada shells
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 3 tbs Cacique cheese
- 2 limes, quartered
- Cilantro Dressing
- 1 bunch cilantro
- the juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- Pico De Gallo
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ white onion
- ½ cup packed cilantro
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 jalapeño de-seeded
- Open the tofu package and drain the excess liquid, place the block on a paper towel and pat dry.
- Cut into small cubes
- Place in a medium-sized pan, along with the onion and add a tbs of olive oil and heat over a medium heat.
- Stir occasionally to ensure all sides of the tofu get golden.
- In a small bowl add the rest of the tofu ingredients together and stir to combine.
- Once the tofu has turned golden brown, add the sofritas mixture and toss to combine.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- In a food processor, add all of the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Pico De Gallo
- In a food processor add all of the pico ingredients and pulse together about 4-6 times or until all of the ingredients are finely diced but still chunky.
- To serve:
- Cook 1 egg per tostada. (i lightly oil a small pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes)
- Place a tostada shell on a plate, top with the shredded lettuce, then the sofritas, then add the pico and cacique cheese then top with the cilantro dressing!
- ** To make vegan, simply leave out the cacique and the egg