Let’s talk about red potatoes for a second. They’re small, delicious, and (at least in my kitchen) way under-utilized! When I spotted a gorgeous bag-full at the store, I immediately began to create this dish in my head. My thought process went something like this, ” OK, red potatoes! These are amazing (and I haven’t made them in ages)! But what should I combine them with… pasta? No, too heavy. Veggies? Of course. Seasoned with…garlic? …. obviously… what about an herb? Definitely a good idea. But which one? *takes a look at the fresh herb section* Rosemary and potatoes go really well…. what about a hash?!” And from there I threw some bell peppers into my cart with Brussels sprouts for good measure!
This meal is all about convenience. Just put everything into a pot and you are set! Oh, and the beet salad I threw together as a side dish? INCREDIBLE! I mean it. The dressing for this, is a lemon vinaigrette that makes my mouth sing.
I mean, look at that salad! Nothing better.
- I. Potato Hash
- 5-6 Diced Red Potatoes (or 2 Russet)
- 2 Bell Peppers (I used 1 orange, 1 yellow)
- 6 Brussel Sprouts, cut into slivers
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 2 TBS Olive OIl
- ¼ cup Chicken Broth
- II. Salad
- 1 Bag of Arugula
- 1 Beet (cooked)
- 1 Bell Pepper
- III. Salad Dressing
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Agave (this adds such a nice sweetness)
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- Potato Hash:
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a pot, combine the olive oil and garlic and allow to cook for about 2 min. Meanwhile, quarter your potatoes. Add the potatoes to the pot and let cook sear over a medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Once the outsides have browned, add ¼ cup chicken broth and rosemary and place the pot in the oven (with a lid) for about 15-20 minutes (or until fork tender). One the potatoes are finished, remove from the oven and add the bell peppers and brussel sprouts and allow to cook until the vegetables are tender (about 5 minutes). Serve immediately.
- In a food processor (or blender) add all of the salad dressing ingredients and pulse until smooth. In a bowl add the arugula, beet, and bell pepper, then dress with the vinaigrette.