Now that warmer temps are here and Memorial Day is right around the corner (so excited for the long weekend!!!), I figured some “picnic friendly” food was in order!
And, to me at least, nothing says picnic more than a seriously loaded sub. What makes this one special is that is is made with 100% veggies (yay for any vegs out there!) and can be made vegan simply by switching out the cheese and bread for vegan versions!
I mean, look at all that colorful goodness? And in case you’re worried about a veggie sandwich keeping you full (I had to seriously convince my husband that it was possible), let me just say this really does the job. And if you are truly a meat loving person, simply add on some smoked turkey and you’re good to go!
Also is anyone else feeling some major love for heirloom tomatoes lately ( how gorgeous is this yellow tomato?!) ? I am, and couldn’t resist adding them in, as well. So basically the setup for this sandwich goes like this: lemon aioli spread, baby spinach, thinly sliced cucumber, asparagus, roasted bell pepper, havarti cheese, and finally brocco sprouts because no gourmet sandwich is complete without them!
Oh! And make sure you use a really good crusty bread for this sandwich. Because there is such an abundance of veggies, the crunch from the bread really helps give everything texture and substance.
And even better than how delicious/healthy this sandwich is, is the fact that you can make this the night before, throw it into a container and bring it into work so easily.
So basically, two meals in one!
*Also, I would love to have you follow me on social media! I am on Instagram all the time and love seeing your versions of my recipes! Be sure to tag your photos #theblondechefblog so I can see them 🙂
(Click on the social media icons on the right side of the main page to see my accounts 🙂 )
- 1 baguette
- ½ cup baby spinach
- 1 tomato thinly sliced (I used heirloom)
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 bell pepper (quartered)
- 4 sticks of asparagus
- 3-4 slices havarti cheese
- 1 handful brocco sprouts
- Lemon Aioli (makes about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Mash garlic and salt in mortar with pestle until paste forms.
- Whisk egg yolk, water, lemon juice, and mustard in medium bowl.
- Whisk in garlic mixture.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water) and whisk constantly until mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Remove bowl from over water.
- Cool mixture to room temperature, whisking occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Gradually whisk oil into yolk mixture in very thin slow stream; continue whisking until aioli is thick. Season to taste with pepper and more salt, if desired. (makes about 1 cup)
- To a medium sized pan, add the asparagus and the bell pepper (skin-side down) and cook over a medium heat until tender (use a drizzle of olive oil, if desired)
- Once the aioli is prepared, spread a healthy amount onto the bottom half of the baguette.
- Add a layer of baby spinach, cucumber, asparagus, bell pepper, and tomato.
- Top with havarti cheese and brocco sprouts.
- Serve immediately or, keep in the fridge overnight.