Are you guys popcorn people? I totally am.
If I’m watching a movie/TV show at home, you can bet that I also have my hand in a large bowl of popcorn. And I love it. The only thing that I don’t love is buying box after box of Orville Redenbacher’s “simply salted” knowing full well that I could replicate the exact same experience for half the cost on my own. Basically, I’m lazy.
But, after going to the movies last week ( we saw Unbroken, and loved it!) and my
cute smart friend brought a big brown paper bag filled with freshly popped popcorn, I decided to mend my ways.
Now I know this is my third recipe with salted caramel in two weeks, and you guys are probably getting sick of it but, I can’t help myself! After making 6 batches in one week, I was desperate. And so I’ve been throwing it on EVERYTHING. Not that I’m complaining. This stuff is dang good.And obviously this popcorn was the perfect excuse to put my growing supply to work! Basically, I took the flavors of a twix (caramel and chocolate) and layered them together to make the best dessert popcorn I’ve ever had, hands down. I literally ate this entire batch in three days. THREE days, people. It’s that good. And it’s crazy simple to make. Simply pop a ton of popcorn (about 5-6 cups worth), melt some chocolate, grab some caramel sauce (I used this recipe), and some crushed twix and go to town.
- 5-6 cups popped popcorn (I placed the kernels in a large brown paper bag sans butter/oil and used the popcorn setting adding time until the popping slowed down)
- 8 oz. white chocolate, chopped (use a really high quality)
- 2 heaping TBS. coconut oil
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce ( you can use store bought, but homemade is always a win. Here is the recipe I use)
- 1 cup crushed twix bars (I used the mini kind)
- Pop your popcorn.
- Meanwhile, place a medium-sized pot with about 1./2 cup of water over the stove and place a heat-proof bowl (I used a small metal one) over top.
- Add the chopped white chocolate along with the coconut oil and stir continuously with a spatula until almost completely smooth and melted.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring until the mixture is completely smooth.
- *Transfer to a squeeze bottle
- In a large bowl (or container), add about 1 cup of the popped popcorn then drizzle with the white chocolate, salted caramel sauce, then sprinkle with the crushed twix.
- Repeat this process until you have used all of your popcorn.
- TIP: make sure to get the chocolate and caramel around the edges of the container as well.