Lately, the weather here in DC has been cold and rainy. While it’s making everything completely gorgeous, (hello, fall leaves!) it also makes me want to snuggle up under a blanket with a good book.
This dish is the perfect way to warm your soul, even if snuggling up underneath a blanket isn’t in your near future. In fact, I wholeheartedly recommend eating a big bowl of this while
binge watching your favorite show (anyone else totally obsessed with The Good Wife?).
The only thing better than how amazing this meal tastes is how easy it is to put together! Seriously, the hardest thing you have to do is cook the chicken/pasta. But, within 25 short minutes, you have yourself a warm, comforting dish infused with lemon and topped with parmesan cheese (cue heavy breathing).
And the fresh basil really takes this over the top. Side note: I actually bought a basil plant from Trader Joe’s about a month ago. After being frustrated by how quickly I was running through the tiny packets of fresh basil at the store, I decided to take the plunge and try the whole “gardening thing”. I have to be honest, I was convinced by day three it would be sad and wilted but, it is so resilient (even with my black thumb)! I keep using it in recipes just because it’s sitting on my windowsill looking gorgeous. You guys need to run over and grab one for yourselves!
You guys are going to love this! Buon appetito! (Enjoy!)
- 1 bag spinach pasta
- 2 cups heirloom tomatoes (halved)
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- the zest of one lemon
- the juice of one lemon
- parmesan cheese
- 2 TBS. coconut cream (this is the thick cream at the top of the can)
- 5 leaves of fresh basil
- 3 chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the olive oil, honey, salt, paprika and oregano and whisk together. Add the chicken breasts and coat well. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with salt (I usually use a large pinch full).
- While the water is heating, add the chicken (skin-side down) to a hot grill pan. Once a nice sear forms, flip and lower temp to medium-low. Add ¼ cup of chicken broth and cover. Steam for about 10-15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Cook pasta as per package directions. Once finished, reserve about ¼ cup of cooking water then drain.
- Add pasta back into the pot and set over a medium-low heat. Add the coconut cream, heirloom tomatoes and lemon juice/zest and toss to combine. Serve warm with fresh parmesan cheese and topped with basil.