Alright friends, I am officially back from Italy and so excited to try and recreate some of the AMAZING dishes I made/ate there.
It was such an incredible experience and I am already planning my next trip! One of the coolest things I did in Rome was take a cooking class where we were taught how to properly cook some very traditional Italian dishes. I mentioned it on my @theblondechefblog Instagram, but in Italy eating spaghetti noodles with a red sauce is a HUGE no no. And honestly I had no idea, so I’ve decided to do a post (hopefully this week) talking about some of the techniques I learned so that we can all make really authentic Italian food. Because it is truly incredible!
Today’s recipe is sadly not Italian, but I made it before our trip and have been wanting to share it ever since! It is seriously so easy to make, just chop up some veg and chicken then place it on a skewer, and it all comes together in about 25-30 minutes.
Plus, grilling chicken skewers just SCREAMS summer to me, which is kind of the best thing ever.
So to make these, all you need is a package of skewers (I like to soak mine for about 20 minutes beforehand to prevent them from burning while on the grill), 1 red onion, 1 pineapple, 2 bell peppers, and about 2-3 chicken breasts.
Simply place the chicken breasts in the marinade and let sit for about 20 minutes (best to do this while the skewers are soaking), then cut into bite-sized pieces and alternate with the veggies on the skewers. Then place on a lightly oiled grill pan for about 5 minutes on each side (don’t move them to ensure you get nice and dark grill marks) then serve immediately with a side of the marinade!
These are the perfect summer snack and if you want to make this a true dinner (for those of you feeding boys who need some carbs) it tastes incredible on top of some warm cilantro rice!
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- About 2 cups of this pineapple bbq sauce or sweet bbq sauce of your choice.
- 2 bell peppers cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 pineapple, cored and cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- About 10 wooden skewers
- Place the chicken into a large ziploc bag along with about ¾ cup of the marinade sauce and let sit at room temp for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the skewers to a large bowl and cover completely with water. Let soak for about 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken has marinated, use kitchen shears to cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- Take a skewer and add the bell peppers, onion, pineapple, and chicken. I found that place the bell peppers on the beginning and at the end helped keep all of the other veggies from sliding off.
- Heat a grill pan over a medium-high heat and lightly spray with PAM.
- Add the skewers (about three at a time) and grill for about 5-8 minutes on each side until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Place on a large platter and serve with cilantro as a garnish and the remaining bbq sauce!