Well, friends it’s Tuesday. And Tuesday is pretty much Monday which means I can safely assume you guys could use an energy boost and maybe something to distract you from the long week ahead (sorry!).
Luckily I’ve got both. I mean, obviously these Cuban Rice Bowls are some awesome eye candy (especially with Cinco De Mayo coming up!) but dang are they even more delicious! I wish I could take the credit for this genius idea, but I have to give complete credit to my friend who was telling me all about this amazing place in Portland that serves up something very similar. So after hearing about these bowls of deliciousness I decided that since a trip to Portland is not in my near future (so sad!) I had to try to re-create them myself.
I did my own spin by making coconut rice, topping it with seasoned black beans, grilled tempeh, fried plantains, and a rich and creamy Green Goddess dressing that is to DIE for!
To make your week as easy as possible, I would make a large batch of the rice/beans the night before then simply add on the toppings for lunch the next day! I know there are a bunch of components but don’t let that intimidate you! The beans are pretty much a “pour-and-go” type of thing and I used pre-made guac, and then you just have to fry up the plantains and make the rice!
Not too crazy. Especially because you can choose to eat this out of a bowl or, if you’re like me, make yourself a few tacos!
Now for some amazing news… I am officially an aunt 5 times over! My sister-in-law just had her newest addition yesterday and we couldn’t be happier! Nothing helps turn bad luck around like the addition of a new little one.
*Have a wonderful Tuesday!
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 plantains, sliced (extremely ripe)
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 8 oz. can black beans
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup guacamole (I bought mine from Whole Foods, but feel free to make your own)
- Cacique cheese
- Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions (whole)
- 1 cup packed basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- The juice of 2 lemons
- In a large pot, bring the coconut water, salt and water to a boil. Add in the rice, cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 25-30 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid and is tender.
- In a large sauce pan, add the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar and the sliced plantains.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden and caramelized.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a blender and pulse until completely smooth.
- In another sauce pan, add the black beans along with the cumin, salt, and chili powder and heat over a medium-low temp until warmed through.
- Once the rice is finished, add to each individual bowl and top with beans, fried plantains, black beans, guacamole, and cacique cheese!
- Serve immediately, or store each component separately in the fridge.